Office Phone and Email
Office hours during the Summer Semester 2022
Thursdays, 10-11 a.m.
My office hours generally take place in person. When entering the university building, please wear a medical face mask and observe the current regulations: https://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/novel-coronavirus/students/. Please sign up for the office hour one day in advance in my course room "Office hours - Lehnen" on WueCampus: https://wuecampus2.uni-wuerzburg.de/moodle/course/view.php?id=39520. I may then allot you a specific time slot to make sure that there will be no crowds in the hallways. The password to enroll is "Lehnen".
If you prefer to talk to me via Zoom, please send me an e-mail.
Pragmatics, Variational Pragmatics, Intercultural Communication, Corpus Linguistics, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, World Englishes, Sociolinguistics
PhD project – working title: “Integrating corpus-based and interactional approaches to pragmatic variation in World Englishes – A study of DISAGREEMENTS among speakers of English in Hong Kong”
2013 Bachelor of Arts “Anglophone Studies” and “Spanische Sprache u. Kultur”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
2016 Master of Arts “Applied Linguistics”
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
Introduction to Language and Communication Studies
Seminar and exercise for graduate students:
The Pragmatics of World Englishes (Winter 2018/19)
Language and Gender
That's no way to talk! (In)appropriateness in language use
English as a Lingua Franca
Lehnen, L. (forthc.). An der Schnittstelle von Theorie und Praxis: Das Unterrichten von Pragmatik im Fremdsprachenunterricht Englisch aus Sicht von (angehenden) Lehrkräften. To appear in H. Limberg & K. Glaser (Eds.), Pragmatische Kompetenzen im schulischen Fremdsprachenunterricht. Peter Lang.
Lehnen, L. [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (forthc.). ‘The future elected government should fully represent the interests of Hongkong people’ – Diachronic change in the use of modalising expressions in Hong Kong English between 1928 and 2018. To appear in P. Hohaus & R. Schulze (Eds.), Re-Assessing Modal Expressions - Categories, Co-text, and Context. John Benjamins.
Lehnen, L. [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (2020). Hongkongites, Hong Kongers, Hong Kong Belongers? Tracing identity (re)constructions in news discourse in Hong Kong from 1903 to 1999. To appear in English World-Wide 41 (3).
Lehnen, L. (2016). Learning to Do Small Talk – Ideal or Reality? Teachers' Beliefs about the Development of Pragmatic Competence in EFL Classrooms [M.A. thesis]. Rheinische Friederich-Wilhelms-Universität, Bonn.
- Language use in the peripheries and centres of megacities: Comparing Hong Kong and Moscow [with Carolin Biewer, Elena Dieser & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 8th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 8), University of Bamberg, September 26-28, 2019.
- Language and space in megacities – Developing an agenda for comparative research [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Workshop). 8th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 8), University of Bamberg, September 26-28, 2019.
- “No Disagreement, Just Exchanging Opinion.” – Reconciling Speaker and Researcher Perspective on disagreements (Talk). Forum Junge Englische Linguistik in Bayern (FJUEL) 2019, Universität Bayreuth, September, 12-13, 2019.
- English in the peripheries and centres of megacities: Exploring the case of Hong Kong [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 24th Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (IAWE 24), University of Limerick, June 20-22, 2019.
- Tracing identity (re)constructions in Hong Kong from 1903 to 1999 [with Carolin Biewer & Ninja Schulz] (Talk). 40th Annual Conference of the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME 40), University of Neuchâtel, June 1-5, 2019.
- "But I think uh the situation in Hong Kong is different" – DISAGREEMENT in Hong Kong English (Talk). Fifth International Conference of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE), London. 17-20 July 2018.
- Does the successful integration of pragmatics into the foreign language classroom start at university? Asking prospective teachers of English (Poster). ALP Jahrestagung (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Linguistische Pragmatik e.V.), Stuttgart. 6 March 2018.
- Disagreeing in second-language varieties of English and learner Englishes (Talk). ISLE Summer School (International Society for the Linguistics of English), Regensburg. 4-7 October 2017.
- Studying pragmatic variation in second-language varieties of English with ICE – challenges and opportunities (Talk). 38th Annual International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME 38), Prague. 24-28 May 2017.
- Learning to do small talk –ideal or reality? Teachers' beliefs about the development of pragmatic competence in EFL classrooms (Poster). NEL-1 (Nachwuchstagung für Englische Linguistik), Würzburg. 1 July 2016.
- "Small Talk wär mal ganz gut, glaub ich." Pragmatic competence from the perspective of EFL teachers (Talk). BAELc5 (Fifth Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 3-4 June 2016.
- Gender Stereotypes and Discursive Strategies in Online Dating: A Contrastive Study of US American and Spanish Males (Talk). BAELc3 (Third Bonn Applied English Linguistics Conference), Bonn. 23-24 May 2014.